From NatsTown to oblivion

Feb 2, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT

A couple of commenters brought up an interesting subject yesterday: Many of the players who have been systematically scrapped off the Nationals' roster in the last year don't even show up on any other club's 40-man roster.

This is something I've thought of before, and in fact researched a bit last season. How many guys who have played for (and subsequently been released/traded/demoted) by the Nats never returned to the majors again?

The list is staggering. By my count, 61 people played their final major-league game with the Nats between 2005-08. Obviously, there could be more off the 2009 roster, but we can't really include them until they have a chance to play again in 2010.

The full list (and you may want to hide the women and children before reading this, cause it ain't pretty) … Read more ยป

1. An Briosca Mor - Feb 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM

It's interesting to note that the number of washouts in 2007-2008 is much less than the number in 2005-2006. That would tend to absolve the Lerners from culpability for dumpster diving. It clearly didn't start with them.

2. Wally - Feb 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Mark – that does, indeed, seem like a staggering number. Is there any way to get some context to it, like how it compares to other organizations? I would guess very high, but it would be interesting to see who is #2 (and by how much).

3. JMW4th - Feb 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Undeniable proof that Jim Bowden was a HORRIBLE General Manager.

4. Craig - Feb 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

@JMW We needed proof? As if PLOD, FLOP, Meat, and WiMP weren't enough…

5. MikeHarris - Feb 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

There went what's left of my head.I had such high hopes for WMP. Seemed like such a good guy and the name sounded like music on the PA when he came up to bat. He had that mini hot streak not long after he arrived, if I recall. Oh what could have been.I saw Matt White's start. He's done OK since leaving the Nats (and baseball). Some of those names. Wow. Just wow.

6. Anonymous - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Schroder I think has a minor league contract and an invite this year from the Marlins.

7. Anonymous - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I had completely forgotten Arnie Munoz..thanks for the great update Mark!!

8. NatsGirl - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Mark: could we get a tally of how many/which of those names also showed up on in the Mitchell Report?

9. An Briosca Mor - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Nook Logan was named in the Mitchell report. He had to have received the placebo.

10. Mark Zuckerman - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Wally: If I had time, I'd try to compile the list from other teams for comparison's sake, but unfortunately I don't at the moment. Maybe later tonight can run through a couple of other examples (one bad team, one average team, one good team maybe).NatsGirl: To the best of my knowledge, I think Lo Duca and Logan were the only ones on that list who were named in the Mitchell Report.

11. JayB - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Thanks for the leg work. Not sure what this list says about the Nationals….could be cover for people who were in charge like Stan and Lerner or could shout out Jim Bowden sucked worse than anyone thought. Something went terribly wrong as they had enough money at the MLB level to put a better roster together than what this data shows.

12. NatsGirl - Feb 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM

@ABM: Sometimes the juice doesn't make you big, it makes you fast and keeps you on the field when you should have been in the hospital ;-)

13. Sec 204 Row H Seat 7 - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Great postings!! I hope you get a paying position very soon. I understand there is an opeing at the Post. You would seem well qualified on it. I do not include Meat Hook as one of Bowden's mistakes. He had one great season that was a joy to watch.

14. SpringfieldFan - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Oh, but you have to like a story like Rick Short's. Yeah, he wouldn't have had a chance in any other organization, but I think the silver lining — and one of the things that's been great about being a fan of this team — is that we've been able watch the Rick Shorts and the Jorge Padillas finally make it to the show after all their work. Of course, I'm fine with, you know, a winning record instead.

15. Todd Boss - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

This is partly an indictment of Jim Bowden for sure, but also an indicator of just how bad our farm system is right now. Look at someone like Kory Casto. He was a golden-boy in the farm system for years. And proved that he was never going to be more than a AAA player. This statistic, by the way, is only going to get worse for the 2009 season. By my count, i see no less than 22 guys who played a major league game for us that, at this moment, are either unsigned FAs, have been DFA'd and are off a 40-man roster or who have signed minor-league deals only for 2010.FAs: Wells, Colome, Tavarez, Villone, Livan Hernandez, MacDougalDFA'd to AAA: Orr, Kensing, Garate, Estrada, BurkeMinor League Deals only for 2010: Ledezma, Shell, Hinckley, cintron, Cabrera, Sosa, Padilla, Kearns, Bard, Rivera, SegoviaHow many of these guys, especially the ones on minor league only deals, have a realistic shot of playing major league ball again?

16. Let Teddy Win - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

This is great stuff, Mark. So glad you're on the case!Of course it's an indictment of both Bowden and of the horrible team we inherited.

17. NatsGirl - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Speaking of now-AWOL players and the Nats, I don't like the rumblings I hear about the Nats picking up John Smoltz–I'm sure JZimm last summer. Please tell me they'd be looking at him as a member of the coaching staff!

18. James Bjork - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Just for a bit of perspective, all the boneheaded decisions by Bowden on spendy salaries that didn't produce = only about 1.5 or 2 bum years for Kevin Brown or Carl Pavano or…. (insert free-agent Yankees bust here).Oh yeah, +1 on Rick Short (the Nats' version of "The Rookie"), and +1 on rather winning, though.

19. periculum - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Still I find it interesting that players were drafted from the Nats in rule 5, like Zech Zinicola (Toronto) at the MLB level. He ostensibly was one of the Chief's closers when Kensing wasn't on the active roster. Three others were also drafted at the minor league level.Clint Everts (another closer/relief type) went to the Mets of all teams? Kearns, of course, went to Cleveland. As did Saul Rivera.Zach Segovia also went to the Mets. Jorge Padilla, SYR's and one of the minor league's leading hitters BA wise also went to Toronto.Attributions and gratitude to Brian and the NFA for providing on the spot and rapid info on all things Nats.

20. Anonymous - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Great blog Mark. Keep up the good work.

21. Positively Half St. - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I love this kind of post. It is analysis we don't get from the Post. I think that while Jim Bowden gets some "credit" for this list because of his propensity to dumpster-dive, I think much more of it is on MLB. They didn't spend the money on the draft when they owned the team, because they wanted the good players for themselves. That left the Nats with a sad-collection of marginal prospects, and they didn't give Bowden much to work with before the Lerners took over.I have really felt that the overall quality of the reclamation projects this year is higher than in the past. Chris Duncan and Kevin Mench really were something once, as was Chuck James. I feel like Miguel Batista is more of a Bowden-like move- like Bowden getting over-the-hill pitchers from Cinci, although for Rizzo the old home is Arizona.

22. Anonymous - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

A great blog item from a great Nats reporter (hey Post editors-I hear there's an opening). Looks like the Nats are a kind of farm club for Atlantic League (independent) ball. It'd be time-consuming but fun to see the value of each of these contracts.

23. Stuart - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I selected the '61 Tigers (101-61) at semi-random. They had 3 players who never played again:Jerry Staley(P), Frank House(C), & Manny Montejo(P).Stanley was a 3 time allstar, he and House shared the 9/25 game @ KC as their final game.

24. NatsGirl - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Psst…hey guys: there's a newer post to comment on!

25. Peter - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM