Feb 2, 2010, 12:51 PM EST
But is Orlando Hudson close to signing with the Nationals? Sounds like the O-Dog will finally make a decision before the week is up, choosing between Washington, Minnesota, Cleveland and any other surprise suitors that pop up between now and then. (UPDATE: FoxSports.com says Seattle may now be in the mix as well.)
Rest assured, the decision surely will be a financial one. This is a guy who made $6.25 million with the Diamondbacks in 2008, then had to settle for a little more than $3.3 million last year with the Dodgers and wound up as an All-Star and a Gold Glove winner. Clearly, Hudson thinks he's worth more than that. The question is whether any of the above teams are willing to meet his demands, or whether he'll have to settle for the best offer on the table.
When I say "best offer," I don't necessarily mean the most money. In this case, the possibility of a multi-year deal could be more important than a 2010 salary. And this is where the Nats could emerge victorious.
Mike Rizzo seems pretty adamant that Hudson isn't worth more than $3 million to $4 million per season and isn't likely to budge on that Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing