Feb 2, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
But is Orlando Hudson close to signing with the Nationals? Sounds like the O-Dog will finally make a decision before the week is up, choosing between Washington, Minnesota, Cleveland and any other surprise suitors that pop up between now and then. (UPDATE: FoxSports.com says Seattle may now be in the mix as well.)
Rest assured, the decision surely will be a financial one. This is a guy who made $6.25 million with the Diamondbacks in 2008, then had to settle for a little more than $3.3 million last year with the Dodgers and wound up as an All-Star and a Gold Glove winner. Clearly, Hudson thinks he's worth more than that. The question is whether any of the above teams are willing to meet his demands, or whether he'll have to settle for the best offer on the table.
When I say "best offer," I don't necessarily mean the most money. In this case, the possibility of a multi-year deal could be more important than a 2010 salary. And this is where the Nats could emerge victorious.
Mike Rizzo seems pretty adamant that Hudson isn't worth more than $3 million to $4 million per season and isn't likely to budge on that Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4