Feb 3, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Any list of the most-passionate baseball towns in America surely includes New York, a city that lives and dies with the Yankees and Mets and still boasts die-hard fans of the Dodgers and Giants more than 50 years after both franchises bolted for the West Coast.
Yet the list of native New Yorkers currently in the major leagues is shorter than the Soup Nazi's temper; only 27 players born in the Empire State appeared in a big-league game in 2009. Only 11 of them were pitchers.
It's not hard to understand, then, why Long Island's John Lannan and Staten Island's Jason Marquis are so excited to be joined at the hip in Washington for at least the next two seasons. Not only are two of New York's finest now teammates. They'll open 2010 as the top two starters in the Nationals' rotation.
So what's it like to play alongside a fellow native from the big city?
"Well, I always bust his chops," Marquis said. "Long Islanders claim to be from New York City. Technically, they're not. But I've got a lot of family members out there. My wife has a lot of family members out there. It's a similar mindset. Same type of background growing Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants