Feb 4, 2010, 8:37 PM EDT
So much for all that hoopla about Orlando Hudson. The All-Star second baseman won’t be signing with the Nationals, club sources confirmed this afternoon, and all signs point to him landing in either Minnesota or Cleveland.
Despite mutual interest between both parties, neither was willing to budge on financial terms. The Nats were believed to have offered between $3 million and $4 million; Hudson insisted on considerably more than that.
Washington GM Mike Rizzo wasn’t willing to make that kind of commitment to the 32-year-old, who was an All-Star and Gold Glove winner last season with the Dodgers but lost his starting job to former Nat Ronnie Belliard down the stretch and continues to leave many concerned about a wrist injury that has lingered for two years.
The Nationals will consider signing veteran Adam Kennedy, who hit .289 with 11 homers and 63 RBI last season with Oakland, but club sources said Washington is willing to enter spring training with Cristian Guzman at second base and rookie Ian Desmond at shortstop.
[UPDATE AT 11:24 P.M.: It's official: Hudson has signed a one-year, $5 million contract with the Twins.]
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule