Feb 5, 2010, 1:11 PM EST
[UPDATE AT 9:32 A.M.: Kennedy will make $1.25 million this year, with a $2 million option for 2011.]
Losers to the Twins in the Orlando Hudson sweepstakes, the Nationals wasted little time enacting their backup plan. Washington came to terms late last night with veteran second baseman Adam Kennedy on a one-year contract, club sources confirmed this morning.
Kennedy, 34, who hit .289 with 11 homers and 63 RBI last season for the Athletics, still must pass a physical before the deal is completed. Terms aren't immediately known, but it won't match the $5 million contract Hudson received from Minnesota.
Kennedy's signing sets in motion a chain of events that will affect several Washington infielders. Cristian Guzman will remain at shortstop in the end, this after the club initially told the veteran he might be asked to move to second base this season. Ian Desmond, who impressed some team officials during his big-league debut last September, now is likely to open 2010 at Class AAA Syracuse, where he'll be asked to refine his skills in an attempt to display more consistency.
Once the signing is official, the Nats also will need to remove someone from their 40-man roster.
A veteran of 11 big-league seasons with the Angels, Cardinals and A's, Kennedy is a career .277 hitter. After tailing off in 2007-08 in St. Louis, he enjoyed a bounce-back season in Oakland, producing his Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club