Feb 10, 2010, 6:43 PM EST
There may not be any remaining suitors other than the Nationals to acquire free-agent pitcher Chien-Ming Wang.
A source close to the Dodgers said the 29-year-old right-hander threw off flat ground this morning in L.A. for team officials, who concluded they weren’t ready to make him a substantive offer. Agent Alan Nero, who represents Wang, pushed for an answer today, and the Dodgers balked.
That would appear to leave the Nats in the driver’s seat to land the former Yankees hurler. Baseball sources said earlier today there were only two teams left in the running: Washington and another unnamed club (presumably Los Angeles).
It’s unclear whether the Nationals are willing to give Wang (who made only 24 combined starts the last two seasons due to injury and had shoulder surgery in July) a big-league contract or whether they’ll insist on a non-guaranteed, minor-league deal. He has yet to begin throwing off a mound and isn’t expected to be ready to pitch in the majors until May at the earliest.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole