Feb 10, 2010, 2:54 PM EDT
Though the Nationals are involved in serious discussions with Chien-Ming Wang, they’re not yet close to finalizing a deal with the free-agent right-hander.
Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reported on Twitter this morning that the two sides were “close” to an agreement, but a club source said that report was premature. The Nats remain a strong contender to land Wang, but hurdles still remain before a deal would be completed, and it may be days before anything gets done.
Wang, 29, is coming off two injury-plagued seasons with the Yankees and may not be ready to pitch in the majors until May.
The Taiwanese pitcher was a key cog in New York’s rotation in 2006-07, winning 19 games each season. But injuries limited him to only 24 combined starts the last two seasons, and he underwent shoulder surgery in July after going 1-6 with a 9.64 ERA. The Yankees nontendered him in December.
Washington general manager Mike Rizzo has been pursuing a veteran starter all winter, seeking to bolster a rotation that currently features only two known quantities in John Lannan and Jason Marquis (who signed a two-year, $15 million contract in December). Even though Wang (who turns 30 on March 31) is unlikely to be ready to the start the season, the Nationals see him as a potential piece in their long-term rebuilding plan.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year