Feb 15, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed speedster Willy Taveras to a minor-league contract and will give him a chance to win a spot as the fourth or fifth outfielder on the Opening Day roster, a club source confirmed.
Taveras, 28, has long been considered one of baseball's fastest players — he led the NL with 68 stolen bases in 2008 — but he's struggled in recent years to get on base enough to take advantage of his speed. In 102 games with the Reds last year, he reached base at a pathetic .275 clip. Combine that with a .285 slugging percentage, and Taveras was one of the least productive offensive players in baseball in 2009.
Perhaps not surprisingly, Cincinnati gave up on him and shipped him to the A's two weeks ago in a deal that brought Aaron Miles to the Reds. Oakland immediately designated Taveras for assignment, and after he cleared waivers, gave him his outright release. That put the A's on the hook for his $4 million salary in 2010 and left him availableRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?