Feb 16, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
[UPDATE: I know many of you have been waiting to hear who was removed from the 40-man roster to make room for Adam Kennedy. Well, the Nats announced today that left-hander Doug Slaten (picked up last fall from the Diamondbacks on a waiver claim) was designated for assignment. They'll still need to drop another body later this week to clear space for Wang.]
Right-hander Chien-Ming Wang and the Nationals have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, a club source has confirmed. The deal, which had been in the works for the last week, is believed to be for $2 million, with incentives that could push the total value to as much as $5 million.
The Nats are planning to formally introduce Wang at Space Coast Stadium on Friday, the day pitchers and catchers are due to report.
The 29-year-old is still recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be ready to pitch until May at the earliest, but the club sees him as not only a short-term fix to its young starting rotation but also as a potential long-term solution if he stays healthy. Though the contract is only for one year, Wang will remain under the Nats’ control in 2011 as an arbitration-eligible player. He can’t become a free agent until after the 2011 season.
More to come…
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets