Feb 16, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Since word got out last week that the Nationals were the front-runners to sign Chien-Ming Wang, the reaction has been decidedly mixed. Seems some fans have been jumping for joy, ecstatic that Washington could get its hands on a guy who posted back-to-back 19-win seasons in 2006-07 before battling injuries the last two years. And it seems others are decidedly against the move, believing Wang's best days are behind him and that he's far from the reliable starter the Nats so desperately need.
Fair points, at both ends of the spectrum.
Here, though, is an explanation why the Nationals believe Wang is worth the investment…
First and foremost, he's still young. Wang turns 30 on March 31, so he conceivably has plenty of gas left in the tank. Unlike, say, 42-year-old John Smoltz, who has been considering retirement for several seasons and faces the possibility of throwing his final pitch every time he takes the mound.
Yes, Wang has been beset by injuries to his foot and shoulder the last two years. But plenty of guys have returned from far worse and Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Braves sink to the bottom
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example