Feb 17, 2010, 9:43 PM EST
…than blogging from a rest stop in Dunn, N.C., just a hop, skip and a jump away from Spiveys Corner. Wonder if Junior is around to say hello and let me know if his broken hand has healed yet.
I’m happy to report that it’s been smooth sailing since Richmond, nary a traffic jam or construction zone. The infamous “South of the Border” billboards beckon every 10 miles or so, and I’m still 75 miles from the home of pointless chotchkies and fireworks. Probably won’t be stopping there because I need to make up for lost time this morning.
Been listening to Lewis Black performing at Carnegie Hall. It’s a few years old but still cracks me up. Talking about how then-President Bush had “handlers,” Black responds: “The president needs handlers? What is he, a bear?”
Oh, some actual Nats news to pass on: They’ve signed Ron Villone to a minor-league contract. Villone, who I believe wil turn 40 sometime this year, had his moments last season out of the bullpen. I have a hard time seeing him make this year’s squad, but selfishly I’d love to see him make it. One of the more-quotable, more-refreshing ballplayers I’ve dealt with.
OK, back to the road. Hope to talk to you next from South Carolina.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Could baseball return to Montreal? Maybe, possibly
- Nate McLouth called LaRoche before joining Nats
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape