Feb 17, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Well, the day has come. Armed with two suitcases, a laptop, some snacks, an iPod and a handy-dandy “TripTik” printout from AAA, I’m hitting the road. Leaving the snow, the wife, the dog and several unfinished household chores behind, all in pursuit of the green pastures of Space Coast Stadium.
The itinerary for Day 1: Drive from Northern Virginia to Savannah, Ga. Distance: 568 miles. Predicted travel time: 8 hours, 29 minutes. This grand plan, of course, will all be thrown out the window the moment I hit my first traffic jam on the Beltway. Or the moment the Nats make some news that requires me to pull off the road and post an update to the blog. Whichever comes first.
Speaking of updates, I’m going to attempt to provide them along the way, for all you crazy die-hards who want to track my progress. I thought about implanting a homing device inside my car, but that didn’t seem like an appropriate way to spend your hard-earned money.
So check back throughout the day and play “Where on I-95 is Mark Zuckerman?” It’s got to be more exciting than watching Olympic curling on CNBC, right?
11:04a.m. — Well, we’re off to a rousing start. I’m currently at a standstill on I-66, still waiting to get on the Beltway. Major accident blocking two lanes. Total distance traveled so far: 12.4 miles. Good thing I only have four states to get through today.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper loses batting title but sets up for MVP
- Nats' season ends with 1-0 loss to the Mets
- Rizzo: Decision on Williams will come soon
- Tanner Roark starts in season finale for the Nationals
- Nats rookie fractures hand in first career start
- Putting Scherzer's no-hitters into historical context
- Escobar error spoils Scherzer's bid for perfect game
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note
- Harper out of nightcap after taking pitch off leg