Feb 18, 2010, 3:37 AM EDT
Because I know you were all worried about me … yes, mother, I successfully made it to Savannah, Ga., as planned. Pulled into the Fairfield Inn Savannah-Hilton Head Airport hotel at 9:30 p.m.
Today’s exploits took a bit longer than I (or AAA or Google Maps) anticipated — 11 1/2 hours to drive 589 miles, to be precise — but the increased time was a direct result of those four traffic jams between NoVa and Richmond, plus a couple of not-so-quick stops along the way to get food, use the facilities, update the blog and respond to emails.
In all honesty, though, it really wasn’t as tough as I thought it would be. The way the first leg crawled along, I was starting to panic. But really, from Richmond south it was smooth sailing, no problems whatsoever. Not much traffic. No weather issues. Only a handful of cops along the side of the road.
And yes, I’m kicking myself for not stopping at “South of the Border.” From the looks of it as I sped past at 75 mph, it’s quite a sight. Looks like it could qualify for its own zip code. Alas, I just didn’t have time to pull over. Hopefully I can plan that out better on the way back and spend some quality time with Pedro and Co. (My favorite of the, oh, 127 billboards touting this place over a span of 175 miles: “Pedro’s forecast: Chili today, hot tamale.” Maybe I could get a job writing cheesy slogans for those guys.)
And with that, it’s time to settle in for the night, watch the tail end of tonight’s Olympics coverage and get some much-needed shut-eye. Savannah-to-Viera tomorrow, and with any luck I’ll be talking to some real, live baseball players sometime in the afternoon.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense