Feb 19, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — We’re still two weeks away from the first Grapefruit League game, but the Nationals already own a 2-0 record … in arbitration.
Sean Burnett is the latest player to lose his hearing to the Nats. A three-person panel ruled in favor of the club today, so the left-hander will earn $775,000 this season instead of the $925,000 he was seeking. The Nats also defeated Brian Bruney in his case earlier this week.
Plenty more players trickling in now, including Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, Nyjer Morgan, Willy Taveras, Roger Bernadina, Shawn Estes, Matt Chico, Jason Bergmann, Tyler Clippard, Collin Balester (sporting that hideous moustache), Matt Capps, J.D. Martin, Tyler Walker and plenty more I’m forgetting at the moment.
No sight of Chien-Ming Wang yet, but they’re furiously setting up the stage for his press conference, on the field right in front of the pitcher’s mound. The Nats would have preferred to do this indoors, but the room they generally use for these things isn’t big enough to accommodate all the media that will be here for Wang’s press conference. A gaggle of reporters from Taiwan has descended upon Viera, and my understanding is that many of them will be following Wang and the Nats around all season. Definitely a new experience for this organization.
OK, time to run down to Jim Riggleman’s camp-opening press conference. I’ll be back later with details of that and of Wang’s introduction.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement