Feb 19, 2010, 10:58 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Jim Riggleman addressed all sorts of subjects in his first news conference of the spring, a session that lasted more than 20 minutes. There were plenty of questions about Chien-Ming Wang from the large gathering, but there were other subjects worth noting…
– Riggleman said Ross Detwiler, despite apparently having been feeling pain in his right hip since late last season, never mentioned it to any team officials until last week. At that point, Detwiler got an MRI, which revealed the torn cartilage, so he had surgery Monday that will sideline him three months. "You'd have to talk to Detwiler, but I think he probably has been feeling something for a while and thought, 'Well, I'm alright. I'll get through this,'" Riggleman said. "And it probably was nagging. And when he got here it was still nagging. And when he went to the trainer, he said this doesn't feel good. So they went and checked it out and it was a serious problem that needed to be alleviated. Obviously if he had said in October or November, 'My hip hurts,' it would have been checked out."
– Jesus Flores has been doing some light throwing and swinging, but the club is taking a very cautious approach with the rehabbing catcher. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like the Nats plan to have Flores open the season on the DL and not bring him back untilRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program