Feb 19, 2010, 6:53 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The pressure of rebounding from major injury to pitch again in the major leagues is daunting for anyone who dons a uniform. Now imagine doing all that while carrying the weight of an entire nation on your surgically repaired right shoulder.
Meet Chien-Ming Wang, a new face to fans in Washington but already THE face of baseball in Taiwan and China. During his introductory news conference this afternoon on the field at Space Coast Stadium, the 29-year-old right-hander was peppered with questions not only from English-speaking reporters who cover his new club on a daily basis but also from a much-larger horde of Asian correspondents who plan to follow his every move from here on out.
In America, Wang is a good (potentially great) solid starting pitcher. In Taiwan, he is everything.
"The Michael Jordan of Taiwan," general manager Mike Rizzo said.
Suffice it to say, the Nationals have never experienced anything quite like this in their brief history. And it's only going to grow. Though Wang — who signed a $2 million contract that includes up to $3 million more in incentives based on the number of starts he makesRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres