Feb 20, 2010, 7:26 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Ross Detwiler said he only began feeling significant pain in his right hip in the last month, not last season, and said he believes he can return to the mound in about 10 weeks following Monday's surgery.
"I'm really in not much pain," the left-hander said today, standing in the Nationals' clubhouse with the aid of crutches. "They said I'd be tossing without rotation in my hip in four weeks, then throwing in six weeks and I could possibly be in a game in 10 weeks. It's a whole lot quicker than I thought it would be."
Detwiler, who turns 24 on March 6, tiptoed a bit around the subject when asked if the hip injury bothered him last season, saying: "It's 162 games. You have aches and pains." But he did not think it was anything serious enough to mention to team personnel in October. Once he experienced more significant pain last month upon resuming workouts at Space Coast Stadium, he began to be concerned it could be serious.
"Once I arrived in Florida in mid-to-late January, something just didn't feel right," he said. "So I went to the trainer that was here, and he said let's get you an MRI. [Team orthopedist Bruce] Thomas said itRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent