Feb 20, 2010, 3:41 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — When Nationals pitchers and catchers hold their first official workout of the season tomorrow morning, Jordan Zimmermann will stand alongside his teammates. He'll be wearing his No. 27 jersey and jump from field to field, each one featuring a different fundamentals station: fielding bunts, pickoff moves, covering first base.
But each time the young right-hander picks up the ball, he'll have to cut it short. Unlike everyone else, he won't be allowed to complete all his throws, certainly not with much force. Such is life for a guy rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. He's part of Nats camp, and yet he's not really part of Nats camp.
Zimmermann, though, is trying to look at the bright side. He may not be able to fully participate in drills, but this sure beats sitting at home in frigid Wisconsin fishing and hunting with his old high school and college buddies.
"It wasn't fun in the first couple of months when I couldn't do anything," he said. "It's a lot easier now that I can go outside and actually toss a ball each day instead of just going to the training room."
A year ago, Zimmermann was gearing up for his first big-league camp, knowing he had a good chance to earn a spot in the Opening Day rotation. He didn't technically make it — he opened the season atRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats