The full spring roster

Feb 20, 2010, 2:26 AM EDT

Click here to support this site

VIERA, Fla. — I know many of you asked about specific players and whether they are in camp or not. Rather than address each of those inquiries separately, I figured it would be easier (and more useful for everyone) to post a complete list of all the players and coaches who are in big-league camp this spring.

So, without further ado, here are the 60 players in camp, plus the 20 coaches who are in uniform. Non-roster invitees are listed in italics…

PITCHERS (35)
RHP Luis Atilano
RHP Collin Balester
RHP Miguel Batista
RHP Jason Bergmann
RHP Brian Bruney
LHP Sean Burnett
RHP Matt Capps
LHP Matt Chico
RHP Tyler ClippardRead more ยป

1. Andrew - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Mark Zuckerman said…1B/3B/OF Mike Morse Mike Morse is the ultimate utility guy as he can really play all infield and all outfield positions if needed.Another real solid pickup last year by Mike Rizzo!

2. Anonymous - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM

Awesome work Mark, but did you forget the coaches?

3. Mark Zuckerman - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Whoops, sorry about that. Just added the coaches.

4. Positively Half St. - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM

So will Kevin Mench go straight to minor league camp? He didn't get an invitation to Spring Training?

5. Avar - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Mark, you're off to an early lead in three categories:1) most info on the Nats2) most info on the Nats I care about and 3) most info on the Nats I can't get anywhere else.Thanks. A bargain at $20.

6. Anonymous - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Thanks Mark – I thought I had read the Grip had been relieved of his duties a few months back, and you confirmed it. I always enjoyed chatting with him before games, and he was always kind throwing balls up to kids in the stands, while strategicly avoiding drunks that begged for balls – fun to watch. Of course, those qualities do not necessarily make a good bench coach…..Your work so far has been stellar – THANKS!

7. David Uglow - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:56 AM

P. Half Street — Nationals.com lists Mench as a non-roster invitee. Question: has Severino been bumped off the 40?

8. Avar - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:58 AM

I think the options will be interesting, especially among pitchers. Of those pitchers out of options; Bruney, Clippard, Burnett, Walker and Bergmann seem safe bets for 25 man in the pen. Mark has said Guardado all but has a spot. That's 7 in the pen (w/ Capps) so totally full.Matt Chico is the other pitcher out of options. Since the pen is full, they can't move him there.So, do they a) give him the 4th or 5th SP job and give him a shot, or b) put him on waivers and see if he clears? I bet on a) unless two other young SPs are great in March.Am I crazy?

9. Wally - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I think that Chico makes the rotation. I think that its Marquis, Lannan, Chico, Stammen and Mock/Martin, barring a late trade or signing. Olsen is going to start the season in the minors or extended ST on rehab assignment, is my guess.

10. Positively Half St. - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM

The options question is much more interesting this year, since we actually have something to lose as well as gain. In previous years there were too many spare parts that nobody else wanted. The kids we have out of options may not obviously be worse than other teams' players on the bubble anymore.Thanks for the Mench info, D. Uglow. I figured there was no reason for Mench to come if the coaches weren't even going to look at him.

11. JayB - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Mark,Where is Tim Foli…….I assume he is there so more importantly…what is his role now and in season….I would expect this to be a key to improving fundamentals and defense. As I recall his job title at least is unique in baseball or at least to our Nats who had 143 errors last year right?

12. Rick - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

13. SpotsyNats - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Thank Mark. I'm a uniforms & numbers guy. What number is Adam Kennedy and Tyler Walker wearing? Also, is "99" the permanent number for Balester. Not a fan of high numbers in baseball, and there will only be one "99"…that Canadian fellow. I heard he's good at hockey.

14. Kenz aFan - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I guess Kevin Mench is looking forward to playing in Syracuse, because even though position players don't have to show up until the 24th, his being the only player not present doesn't help him. A player wants to stand out against all the other players, but not as the lone absentee.

15. Mark Zuckerman - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM

To update you guys on a couple things…– Kevin Mench (and Chuck James, for that matter) are not in big-league camp. They're at minor-league camp. Obviously, they could be brought over at some point, but for now they're not in the mix.– Tim Foli is in uniform with the coaches in big-league camp and will be with the team all year as an extra coaching body. He can be in uniform and on the field pregame but cannot be in the dugout during games.– Adam Kennedy is wearing No. 20 (first time someone's worn that number since Frank Robinson, by the way) and Tyler Walker is wearing No. 25.

16. natscan reduxit - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Spotsy Nats said: "Not a fan of high numbers in baseball, and there will only be one "99"…that Canadian fellow. I heard he's good at hockey."… I agree about the high end numbers. As for Gretzky and the "99", it was and still is a travesty. What the NHL did was to 'retire' that number from the league – i.e, from every team, so no player ever again can wear "99". … even if he was a very good hockey player, no one should be above the game, and that is essentially what the league (read: Gary Bettman) did. Wrong-o!Go Nats!!

17. An Briosca Mor - Feb 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM

So, natscan reduxit, would you say Jackie Robinson is above the game of baseball?

18. Avar - Feb 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Jackie Robinson was a true hero in a way maybe no other athlete was. But, I still don't like retiring a number league-wide. And I think some teams go too far in retiring numbers. I like the Skins' practice of unofficially retiring a number for a decade or two but not permanently for many players and only a very small number being permanently retired.

19. E. - Feb 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Hey Mark, What's the word with Jhonatan Solano? I remember seeing him coming up with the P-Nats and being the MVP of their playoff series. He looked awesome every game I saw him.I read he tailed off some when he moved up to AAA. Any chance we see him in camp this season?