Feb 21, 2010, 10:02 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It lasted all of nine minutes and consisted of 37 pitches. A casual observer who happened to wander over to the row of bullpen mounds near the Nationals' four practice fields might very well have paid no attention to the tall right-hander lined up in between teammates Matt Chico, Tyler Walker, Aaron Thompson and Joel Peralta, uncorking fastballs and breaking balls and change-ups with relative ease.
As the 21-year-old pitcher would describe it later: "Short and sweet."
And yet there was no more significant development on the first day of formal workouts at Nats camp than that nine-minute bullpen session by Stephen Strasburg. To the naked eye, it may not have looked like much. But to the Nats and their success-craving fan base, it was the first tangible sign that better days may not be so far away.
Strasburg's spring training debut drew a larger-than-normal crowd, perhaps 150 or so fans, not to mention a pack of reporters and photographers who chronicled his every move. It also drew rave reviews from the young man who caught each of those 37Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge