Feb 22, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Day two of pitchers and catchers workouts are now in the books, so every pitcher in camp (aside from Jordan Zimmermann) has thrown a bullpen session. Another 16 guys threw today, and the one I was most interested in watching from that group was Scott Olsen.
Olsen, you'll remember, had labrum surgery in August following some unsightly performances earlier in the season. He's back pitching and is deemed 100 percent healthy, but you can tell he still isn't quite back to where he wants to be. After several pitches today, he'd mutter to himself or make some kind of facial expression that indicated he wasn't totally pleased with whatever he just offered up.
The left-hander, though, isn't down on himself. He's not in any pain when he throws. He knows part of the final stages of recovery is rediscovering his "feel" for pitching, and at this stage it's not always going to be there every time he toes the rubber.
"Some days — I guess because your strength isn't all the way built up and you're still pushing through it a little bit — some days will be better than others," he said. "But I felt good. Just not as live, I guessRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups