Feb 25, 2010, 10:57 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After a breakthrough 2009, Derek Norris is enjoying his first big-league camp.
VIERA, Fla. — In only 2 1/2 years since getting drafted by the Nationals (fourth round, 2005) out of high school, Derek Norris has blossomed into one of baseball's top catching prospects. And after a breakout year at low-Class A Hagerstown in 2009, in which he slugged 23 homers with 84 RBI while posting a .413 on-base percentage, Norris finds himself perhaps on a faster track to the big leagues than anyone initially thought possible.
Having just turned 21 two weeks ago, Norris is enjoying his first spring in major-league camp. And though he has no legitimate shot at making the Opening Day roster, his arrival may not be that far away, perhaps sometime in 2011.
In the meantime, the Kansas native is trying to soak in as much of the experience as possible, learning a few pointers from Ivan Rodriguez, developing a rapport with fellow prospect Stephen Strasburg and trying to leave a lasting impression on club officialsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts