Feb 26, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez was all smiles on his first day back with the Nats.
VIERA, Fla. — Livan Hernandez has always been one to march to his own beat. While other pitchers spend the winter working out and throwing on a regular schedule, he's always been content to show up to spring training cold and just jump right into the fray.
That approach may rub some people in the game the wrong way, and it may have been a contributing factor in his still being unemployed as of three days ago. But it's always worked for Hernandez, and those who know him well trust that he knows what he's doing.
The Nationals have long trusted Hernandez to take care of himself, so no one was upset to see the big right-hander show up in camp today with a big grin on his face but no offseason throwing program to speak of. Indeed, the last time he threw off a mound was October 2 in Atlanta, a Nats victory over the Braves.
And if you watched him throw in the bullpen today, you'd have never known the layoff was so long. Livo looked like … well, like Livo. Easy, smooth delivery. No wasted effort. Hitting his target with little
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?