Feb 26, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez was all smiles on his first day back with the Nats.
VIERA, Fla. — Livan Hernandez has always been one to march to his own beat. While other pitchers spend the winter working out and throwing on a regular schedule, he's always been content to show up to spring training cold and just jump right into the fray.
That approach may rub some people in the game the wrong way, and it may have been a contributing factor in his still being unemployed as of three days ago. But it's always worked for Hernandez, and those who know him well trust that he knows what he's doing.
The Nationals have long trusted Hernandez to take care of himself, so no one was upset to see the big right-hander show up in camp today with a big grin on his face but no offseason throwing program to speak of. Indeed, the last time he threw off a mound was October 2 in Atlanta, a Nats victory over the Braves.
And if you watched him throw in the bullpen today, you'd have never known the layoff was so long. Livo looked like … well, like Livo. Easy, smooth delivery. No wasted effort. Hitting his target with little
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss