Feb 27, 2010, 6:13 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Though Jesus Flores is making progress in his recovery from shoulder shoulder, the rehabbing catcher isn’t progressing quickly enough to start playing in actual games.
“He won’t be playing in the games early on,” Riggleman said. “I’m not sure when we’ll get him into games.”
Flores, who had surgery in September to repair a torn labrum, has slowly been progressing in his throwing program. He’s currently worked up to 90 feet, though he’s still not allowed to throw the ball back to pitchers when catching bullpen sessions.
Veterans Ivan Rodriguez and Wil Nieves will get the bulk of the starts behind the plate during the early portion of the exhibition schedule. Prospect Derek Norris and veteran Jamie Burke will also get some playing time.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins