Feb 27, 2010, 6:13 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Though Jesus Flores is making progress in his recovery from shoulder shoulder, the rehabbing catcher isn’t progressing quickly enough to start playing in actual games.
“He won’t be playing in the games early on,” Riggleman said. “I’m not sure when we’ll get him into games.”
Flores, who had surgery in September to repair a torn labrum, has slowly been progressing in his throwing program. He’s currently worked up to 90 feet, though he’s still not allowed to throw the ball back to pitchers when catching bullpen sessions.
Veterans Ivan Rodriguez and Wil Nieves will get the bulk of the starts behind the plate during the early portion of the exhibition schedule. Prospect Derek Norris and veteran Jamie Burke will also get some playing time.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- With Rays' asking Price, no wonder Nats looked elsewhere
- Revisiting all those Nationals and Athletics trades
- Ex-Nats C Brian Schneider takes Single-A manager job
- 2B Brian Roberts, Yankees agree to contract
- Lefties priced themselves out of Nats' market
- Former Nats prospect Marrero lands with Orioles
- Report: Jimmy Rollins latest Phillies player in trade rumors
- Braves add Gavin Floyd on one-year deal
- Nats looking for 2014 'entertainment crew'
- Williams embraces Nats' lofty expectations