Feb 28, 2010, 6:08 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Pretty uneventful workout today. No live BP. No dramatic bullpen sessions. If anything, the most interesting portion of the session came early on, when Jim Riggleman conducted the always-entertaining "pop-up drill."
You should be able to figure out how that works based on the name alone. Nine guys in the field. Pat Listach and Rick Eckstein at the plate, each wielding a fungo bat, each sending balls high into the blue Viera sky as the players scramble to haul them in and not kill each other in the process.
No close-calls today, though you always hold your breath when there's a foul-pop behind the plate and one of the catchers has to navigate his way around dozens of teammates and the batting cage to make the play. Otherwise, there were only a couple of botched ones. By my recollection, Cristian Guzman missed one. Chris Duncan missed at least one in left field. And Ryan Zimmerman and a catcher (can't remember who) let one fall to the ground between them.
I've seen this drill every spring, and every team does them. But I did see something new today: For the final portion of the drill, Riggleman made everyone turn their backs to the plate. They weren't allowed to turn around until the ball was in the air. The idea was to simulateRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip