Feb 28, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — A very pleasant Sunday morning to you all from Viera, where the sun is shining at last and the temperature is very slowly rising to something resembling late-February in Florida. Some of the locals here are saying this stretch of the last couple weeks has been the coldest they can ever remember in these parts, and at some point you have to wonder if it might actually interfere with the Nationals' preparations. They've already had to call off one workout in the last week due to rain, and yesterday had to try to squeeze as much as they could into an abbreviated session before the latest round of precipitation hit. Hopefully the worst is behind us and things can proceed from here without tweaks, delays or postponements.
In the meantime, a few news nuggets to share this morning before the workout begins…
– Jim Riggleman says he's not sure yet who will start on Opening Day against the Roy Halladay and the Phillies. Obviously, it's either going to be John Lannan or Jason Marquis, but several factors will come into play with this decision. Should it be based on track record (favoring Marquis)? Should it be based on status within the Nats' clubhouse (favoring Lannan)? Should it be based on who matches up better with the Phillies' lineup (perhaps favoring Lannan because of all the lefty sluggers)?
– Josh Willingham, whose wife Ginger gave birth to son Ryder on Tuesday night, still hasn't reported to camp, and it's going to be at least several more days before he does. Riggleman said Willingham's delayed arrival was due to "a personal matter" and didn't want to goRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig