Mar 1, 2010, 11:17 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Adam Dunn has spent the last nine years in the major leagues, during which time he has established himself as one of the game's most-consistent sluggers. Yet he believes he's never produced a full season up to full capability.
Aside from a 1 1/2-month stint with the Diamondbacks in 2008, he's never played for a winning team, so he could sign with any contender who would have him. Yet he'd rather stay with the Nationals.
He could move to the American League, serve out the rest of his days as a designated hitter and not worry about anything having to do with defense. Yet he'd rather stay in the National League and learn how to play first base.
In fact, if Dunn had his way, he and the Nats would agree to a long-term extension before the club breaks camp and heads north in four weeks.
"I hate doing contract stuff during the season," he said. "If it happens before Opening Day, great. If it doesn't … I want to worry about baseball. I hate when the trade deadline comes around. I hate that part of it. I like just concentrating on baseball and talking baseball as opposed to [contract talks]. Hopefully something gets done before Opening Day. If not, then 162 games."
Dunn and the Nationals commenced preliminary talks about a long-term deal about a month ago. His current contract — a two-year, $20 million deal — is due to expire at the end of the season, and it'sRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city