Mar 1, 2010, 11:17 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Adam Dunn has spent the last nine years in the major leagues, during which time he has established himself as one of the game's most-consistent sluggers. Yet he believes he's never produced a full season up to full capability.
Aside from a 1 1/2-month stint with the Diamondbacks in 2008, he's never played for a winning team, so he could sign with any contender who would have him. Yet he'd rather stay with the Nationals.
He could move to the American League, serve out the rest of his days as a designated hitter and not worry about anything having to do with defense. Yet he'd rather stay in the National League and learn how to play first base.
In fact, if Dunn had his way, he and the Nats would agree to a long-term extension before the club breaks camp and heads north in four weeks.
"I hate doing contract stuff during the season," he said. "If it happens before Opening Day, great. If it doesn't … I want to worry about baseball. I hate when the trade deadline comes around. I hate that part of it. I like just concentrating on baseball and talking baseball as opposed to [contract talks]. Hopefully something gets done before Opening Day. If not, then 162 games."
Dunn and the Nationals commenced preliminary talks about a long-term deal about a month ago. His current contract — a two-year, $20 million deal — is due to expire at the end of the season, and it'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal