Mar 1, 2010, 8:37 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps impressed during his live BP session today.
VIERA, Fla. — You always expect pitchers to be ahead of hitters at this early stage of the spring, so it was no surprise to see several hurlers dominate during today's live BP session. That said, a couple of guys in particular really seemed to impress the coaches, front office execs and teammates who were watching up close.
Let's start with Matt Capps, who has quickly established himself as a must-see guy in these sessions, again overwhelmed the batters who dug in against him. Chris Duncan got buzzed by a high-and-tight heater and had to back away for a moment to compose himself. Moments later, Mike Morse absolutely froze on a slider that started out inside but wound up whizzing right through the strike zone. You never want to get too excited about these performances, but it would certainly appear Capps is determined to prove his worth after getting non-tendered by the Pirates in December.
John Lannan was his usual self, unspectacular but efficient in his session against Willie Harris, Cristian Guzman, Elijah Dukes and Jamie Burke. His curveball especially looked sharp.
Ron Villone isn't the type of pitcher who's going to blow anyone away, certainly not at age 40, but the ol' lefty still has some tricks in his book. He sawed one of Adam Dunn's bats in half with an insideRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon