Mar 2, 2010, 2:52 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Good morning from soggy Space Coast Stadium, where a torrential downpour earlier soaked the field. And there's more rain expected later this morning.
The Nationals have, however, decided to commence their morning workout. Sounds like they're going to try to squeeze in as much as they can — including another round of live BP featuring Stephen Strasburg — before the skies open again.
Speaking of Strasburg, Jim Riggleman once again this morning made it pretty clear the phenom won't be making the big-league roster on Opening Day. Saying the decision might be more "philosophical than based on performance," Riggleman suggested Strasburg could dominate hitters this spring but still be shipped out sometime later this month to build up his innings count in minor-league camp and then open the season in the minors.
For those who want to catch an early glimpse of the almighty right-hander, though, you now will be able to watch his debut next Tuesday against the Tigers. MASN has picked the game up and will be televising it both live at 1 p.m. and again on tape delay at 7 p.m.
In other rotation news, Scott Olsen will indeed start Monday against the Marlins, so the initial turn through the rotation is now set: Mock/Martin in split-squad games Thursday, Batista on Friday,Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust