Mar 2, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It’s just a nasty day here on the Space Coast, for multiple reasons.
The weather is obviously one factor. The rain has been coming and going, accompanied by a fierce wind.
Stephen Strasburg is another. The rookie right-hander just completed his second session of live BP this spring, and he once again was untouchable.
Unlike last time, some hitters actually took the bat off their shoulders today. Just like last time, though, no one made solid contact. Eric Bruntlett rapped a bouncer toward shortstop. Roger Bernadina nubbed a slow roller through the left side of the infield that perhaps would have qualified as a seeing-eye single.
But that was it. Nothing that had any air under it. Nothing that reached the outfield. Plenty more late swings on fastballs and broken backs on slider/curves.
One of these days, a major-league batter is going to hit a Strasburg pitch with some authority. But it hasn’t happened yet.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard