Mar 2, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It’s just a nasty day here on the Space Coast, for multiple reasons.
The weather is obviously one factor. The rain has been coming and going, accompanied by a fierce wind.
Stephen Strasburg is another. The rookie right-hander just completed his second session of live BP this spring, and he once again was untouchable.
Unlike last time, some hitters actually took the bat off their shoulders today. Just like last time, though, no one made solid contact. Eric Bruntlett rapped a bouncer toward shortstop. Roger Bernadina nubbed a slow roller through the left side of the infield that perhaps would have qualified as a seeing-eye single.
But that was it. Nothing that had any air under it. Nothing that reached the outfield. Plenty more late swings on fastballs and broken backs on slider/curves.
One of these days, a major-league batter is going to hit a Strasburg pitch with some authority. But it hasn’t happened yet.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win