Mar 2, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It’s just a nasty day here on the Space Coast, for multiple reasons.
The weather is obviously one factor. The rain has been coming and going, accompanied by a fierce wind.
Stephen Strasburg is another. The rookie right-hander just completed his second session of live BP this spring, and he once again was untouchable.
Unlike last time, some hitters actually took the bat off their shoulders today. Just like last time, though, no one made solid contact. Eric Bruntlett rapped a bouncer toward shortstop. Roger Bernadina nubbed a slow roller through the left side of the infield that perhaps would have qualified as a seeing-eye single.
But that was it. Nothing that had any air under it. Nothing that reached the outfield. Plenty more late swings on fastballs and broken backs on slider/curves.
One of these days, a major-league batter is going to hit a Strasburg pitch with some authority. But it hasn’t happened yet.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip