Mar 3, 2010, 8:26 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
A starter his whole career, Tyler Clippard posted a 2.69 ERA in relief last season.
VIERA, Fla. — A year ago at this time, Tyler Clippard had visions of making the Nationals' Opening Day rotation and realizing his dream of becoming a big-league starting pitcher. When he learned during the final week of camp he not only was being sent back down to Class AAA Syracuse, but also that he would be converted into a reliever, the right-hander was stunned.
Little did Clippard realize at the time how the new role would re-energize his career. After a strong stint at Syracuse, he was called back up to Washington, where he quickly became one of the bullpen's most-trusted members. By season's end, he had posted a 2.69 ERA in 41 appearances, allowing a scant 36 hits in 60 1/3 innings pitched and taking on a high-profile, set-up role.
Now back in camp as a full-time reliever, Clippard doesn't want to rest on his laurels and just assume a roster spot is his. He sat down for an interview earlier today to discuss the successful transition from starter to reliever, why his style of pitching seems to work out of the bullpen and where his recent hole-in-one at a Viera golf course ranksRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond