Mar 3, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Few pitchers in this camp (non-Strasburg division) have been praised as much as Garrett Mock, which may come as a surprise to those who immediately think of the right-hander's 3-10 record and 5.62 ERA during a frustrating 2009.
"I thought he made a lot of progress [in September]," manager Jim Riggleman said. "A couple of his no-decisions and losses, the comments I got from opposing managers around the batting cage letting me know what the other hitters had been saying about Mock and the challenge they had against him … he's a challenge for major-league hitters. I think he was 3-10, but you know, a lot of young guys start their first year, for whatever reason, with losing records. There's a lot of good ones who broke in and just didn't really get it going until the next year. That year is behind us, and we think he's going to learn and grow from it."
Mock, 26, believes he can take the next step this season, thanks to a new approach he began employing late last season at the advice of Tim Foli and Steve McCatty: Keep it simple. Attack hitters. Trust yourRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship