Mar 3, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Few pitchers in this camp (non-Strasburg division) have been praised as much as Garrett Mock, which may come as a surprise to those who immediately think of the right-hander's 3-10 record and 5.62 ERA during a frustrating 2009.
"I thought he made a lot of progress [in September]," manager Jim Riggleman said. "A couple of his no-decisions and losses, the comments I got from opposing managers around the batting cage letting me know what the other hitters had been saying about Mock and the challenge they had against him … he's a challenge for major-league hitters. I think he was 3-10, but you know, a lot of young guys start their first year, for whatever reason, with losing records. There's a lot of good ones who broke in and just didn't really get it going until the next year. That year is behind us, and we think he's going to learn and grow from it."
Mock, 26, believes he can take the next step this season, thanks to a new approach he began employing late last season at the advice of Tim Foli and Steve McCatty: Keep it simple. Attack hitters. Trust yourRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter