Mar 4, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Josh Willingham, the final Nationals player to report to camp, arrived in Viera yesterday and is at the complex today working out with guys who didn't make the trip to either Kissimmee or Jupiter.
Willingham, whose wife Ginger gave birth to new son Ryder last week, won't be thrown into games right away, but manager Jim Riggleman said he'll probably work his way into the lineup by Monday or Tuesday.
The Nats are counting on big things from the 31-year-old left fielder, who hit .260 with 24 homers and 61 RBI in 133 games last season. One of Riggleman's biggest challenges will be deciding how much time to give Willingham off to keep him fresh throughout the year. Some felt his late-season slump was a product of overuse, though Willingham told his manager last month he felt great all season and never had any recurrence of the back troubles that had plagued him in previous years.
"It's really an interesting dilemma," Riggleman said. "Because I like having him in the lineup."
Willingham will likely bat fifth again, behind Adam Dunn and in front of Elijah Dukes, though Riggleman said that could change over the course of the season. Regardless of where he hits in the lineup, theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip