Mar 4, 2010, 5:11 PM EST
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Josh Willingham, the final Nationals player to report to camp, arrived in Viera yesterday and is at the complex today working out with guys who didn't make the trip to either Kissimmee or Jupiter.
Willingham, whose wife Ginger gave birth to new son Ryder last week, won't be thrown into games right away, but manager Jim Riggleman said he'll probably work his way into the lineup by Monday or Tuesday.
The Nats are counting on big things from the 31-year-old left fielder, who hit .260 with 24 homers and 61 RBI in 133 games last season. One of Riggleman's biggest challenges will be deciding how much time to give Willingham off to keep him fresh throughout the year. Some felt his late-season slump was a product of overuse, though Willingham told his manager last month he felt great all season and never had any recurrence of the back troubles that had plagued him in previous years.
"It's really an interesting dilemma," Riggleman said. "Because I like having him in the lineup."
Willingham will likely bat fifth again, behind Adam Dunn and in front of Elijah Dukes, though Riggleman said that could change over the course of the season. Regardless of where he hits in the lineup, theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles