Mar 5, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond clubbed a grand slam, drove in six runs and made two nice plays at shortstop.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The outcome was no better this afternoon for the Nationals, who lost 11-8 to the Braves after dropping both split-squad games yesterday. And there could be reason to worry about a pitching staff that has now surrendered a combined 36 runs in three Grapefruit League games.
But as I've said before and will probably say again, you really can't pay much attention to the outcomes of these games. They're not trying to win. Managers aren't really managing. Players and pitchers are working on specific things.
"The scores at this time of year, spring training, you see double figures up there, it can be a little deflating," Jim Riggleman said. "Get in guys heads and all that. But we just kind of break it down to each individual. We're looking for individual performances out of a group that will eventually form a team."
So let's take the manager's advice and look at some key individuals from today's game…
IAN DESMOND — Wow, what a performance. Two-run single in the third. Grand slam in the fourth. Two diving stops to his left at shortstop. And he looked comfortable enough in right field during theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays