Mar 5, 2010, 10:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Miguel Batista, who debuted today, believes he can help the Nats win now.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Spend 10 minutes with Miguel Batista and you're liable to hear him quote anyone from Vince Lombardi to Walt Whitman. Catch him on a good day and you might even hear him quote both.
There are stranger characters in the game of baseball, but not many as diversely talented as Batista, a 38-year-old right-hander who not only has made 530 appearances in the big leagues but has also published two books. One is a collection of poetry in Spanish, titled "Sentimientos en Blanco y Negro" ("Feelings in Black and White"). The other, which just went to print in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico earlier this year, is a crime novel called "The Avenger of Blood."
Find another big-leaguer with THAT on his resume.
"We referred to him in Arizona as a 'Renaissance Man,'" said Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, who served as the Diamondbacks' scouting director when Batista pitched there earlier this decade. "He was in the middle of authoring a book in Spanish. And he would read poetry. He'd listen to classical music in the clubhouse. But I also remember him from those years in Game 3 of the World Series in NewRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent