Mar 6, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan allowed two of the Mets' 14 runs during today's latest spring loss.
VIERA, Fla. — OK, let's get this disclaimer out of the way right off the bat: It's the first week of the Grapefruit League. None of these results matter. They're not a true indication of how a team will perform once the green light comes on April 5.
Having said that … the Nationals are not exactly playing like a ballclub intent on avoiding a third-straight 100-loss season. They've now played four official exhibition games over three days. They've lost all four by a combined score of 50-23. They've allowed 67 hits, 10 of them home runs. They could give up 12 runs to the Mets tomorrow in Port St. Lucie and still see their team ERA go down.
"We really just have to say, OK, you've got that one behind you," manager Jim Riggleman said. "The first time through, everybody kind of struggled, didn't really throw strikes. We'll just give everybody the benefit of the doubt and look for better outings next time through."
With the exception of starters Jason Marquis and Matt Chico (who both pitch tomorrow), Scott Olsen (Monday), Stephen Strasburg (Tuesday) and Livan Hernandez (first appearance still TBA), everyone on the staff has appeared in a game so far. It's one thing if the guysRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle