Mar 6, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan allowed two of the Mets' 14 runs during today's latest spring loss.
VIERA, Fla. — OK, let's get this disclaimer out of the way right off the bat: It's the first week of the Grapefruit League. None of these results matter. They're not a true indication of how a team will perform once the green light comes on April 5.
Having said that … the Nationals are not exactly playing like a ballclub intent on avoiding a third-straight 100-loss season. They've now played four official exhibition games over three days. They've lost all four by a combined score of 50-23. They've allowed 67 hits, 10 of them home runs. They could give up 12 runs to the Mets tomorrow in Port St. Lucie and still see their team ERA go down.
"We really just have to say, OK, you've got that one behind you," manager Jim Riggleman said. "The first time through, everybody kind of struggled, didn't really throw strikes. We'll just give everybody the benefit of the doubt and look for better outings next time through."
With the exception of starters Jason Marquis and Matt Chico (who both pitch tomorrow), Scott Olsen (Monday), Stephen Strasburg (Tuesday) and Livan Hernandez (first appearance still TBA), everyone on the staff has appeared in a game so far. It's one thing if the guysRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists