Mar 7, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Chico, appearing in a big-league game for the first time since 2008, looked sharp.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Matt Chico had pitched against major-league hitters before. Shoot, the guy led the Nationals' staff with 31 starts in 2007 as a rookie.
So why was the left-hander so nervous about a measly, two-inning relief appearance this afternoon against the Mets?
"This felt like my first big-league game in '07," he said. "That's what it felt like. My heart felt like it was jumping out of my chest."
At least Chico managed to throw all of his pitches in the immediate vicinity of the strike zone. This is someone who, after all, once stood on the mound at Dolphin Stadium, reached back and somehow saw his offering land in the third row of the stands behind the first-base dugout.
Nerves or not, Chico has always had an ability to regain his focus. Even after that fateful pitch in Miami three years ago, he came rightRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener