Mar 8, 2010, 4:03 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Willie Harris was called out on a close play at the plate in the second.
VIERA, Fla. — On the day before the Great Stephen Strasburg Spring Training Debut (heretofore referred to as GSSSTD), there are actually several things worth watching at Space Coast Stadium.
Scott Olsen makes his first start of the spring, his first appearance of any kind in a game since undergoing surgery last summer for a torn labrum. The left-hander says he's 100 percent healthy, though he's admittedly a bit rusty and hasn't been sharp every time he's thrown in the bullpen. Now that he's facing real hitters for the first time, the pressure is ratcheted up a tad for a guy who needs not only to show club officials he's healthy but also that he can be effective.
Meanwhile, Cristian Guzman makes his first appearance at shortstop this spring following shoulder surgery in September. Manager Jim Riggleman said he believes Guzman is 100 percent healthy, but he's easing his way into things and may not uncork some throws from deep in the hole quite yet.
Finally, Josh Willingham makes his spring debut, serving as DH today. No health concerns with Willingham. He just was a late arrival to camp following the birth of his son, Ryder, who had a few complications but is doing fine now. Riggleman said Willingham will probably start in left field tomorrow.
Check back throughout for in-game updates…
MARLINS AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: WFED-1500 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal