Mar 8, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Willie Harris was called out on a close play at the plate in the second.
VIERA, Fla. — On the day before the Great Stephen Strasburg Spring Training Debut (heretofore referred to as GSSSTD), there are actually several things worth watching at Space Coast Stadium.
Scott Olsen makes his first start of the spring, his first appearance of any kind in a game since undergoing surgery last summer for a torn labrum. The left-hander says he's 100 percent healthy, though he's admittedly a bit rusty and hasn't been sharp every time he's thrown in the bullpen. Now that he's facing real hitters for the first time, the pressure is ratcheted up a tad for a guy who needs not only to show club officials he's healthy but also that he can be effective.
Meanwhile, Cristian Guzman makes his first appearance at shortstop this spring following shoulder surgery in September. Manager Jim Riggleman said he believes Guzman is 100 percent healthy, but he's easing his way into things and may not uncork some throws from deep in the hole quite yet.
Finally, Josh Willingham makes his spring debut, serving as DH today. No health concerns with Willingham. He just was a late arrival to camp following the birth of his son, Ryder, who had a few complications but is doing fine now. Riggleman said Willingham will probably start in left field tomorrow.
Check back throughout for in-game updates…
MARLINS AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: WFED-1500 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals