Mar 8, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen allowed three runs and seven hits but said his surgically repaired arm felt great.
VIERA, Fla. — Scott Olsen walked into the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, his surgically repaired left shoulder encased his ice, his ragged spring training debut — three runs, seven hits in only two innings — in the books.
So why was the left-hander grinning from ear-to-ear?
"This was the best I've felt so far, by far," he said. "Every bullpen, every batting practice, everything we've done so far … this is the best I've felt arm-wise."
When you're eight months removed from major surgery to repair a torn labrum and can still throw a baseball 87 mph and hit your spots with some consistency … well, the results on the scoreboard don't matter a whole lot.
Make no mistake, Olsen can't keep pitching like this all spring and expect to make the Opening Day roster. At some point in the next week or two, results will matter. For now, it's all about the state of his left arm, and the 26-year-old had no complaints about that today.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate