Mar 8, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Good morning from Space Coast Stadium, where a convergence of events is beginning to draw plenty more media members to Nationals camp. And no, I'm not talking about Cristian Guzman's spring debut at shortstop or Josh Willingham's spring debut in the lineup, though both will take place today.
The bigger developments are the return of Chien-Ming Wang following a two-week stint rehabbing his shoulder in Arizona and of course the debut tomorrow of Stephen Strasburg.
Each player brings with him a sizable media horde. There are at least a dozen Taiwanese reporters and photographers here today, and they'll remain here as long as Wang is around and wearing a uniform. For now, the right-hander is doing nothing more than playing catch with Jordan Zimmermann from 120 feet, but that still qualifies as news back in the Far East. Think of it as Strasburgmania-times-10.
So what exactly is the plan moving forward for Wang?
"We're pretty far down the road as far as having him pitch in games," manager Jim Riggleman said. "What remains to be seen is: When do we get him on the mound here, just to be throwing on a downhill plane to a catcher? That will be determined by how he feels the nextRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent