Mar 10, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock has allowed eight hits in five innings but hasn't walked a batter.
JUPITER, Fla. — Neither Mike Rizzo nor Jim Riggleman is concerned about the Nationals' 0-8 record this spring. Rizzo wishes they wouldn't keep any stats from exhibition games. Riggleman points to strong performances from several key players who will be on his 25-man roster, ignoring the poor performances of those who won't be part of the club.
But 0-8 is 0-8. No other team in the Grapefruit or Cactus leagues has failed to win a game yet. Shoot, Manny Acta's Indians are 4-0 at this moment.
So we can't totally ignore what's going on here. Less than four weeks from Opening Day against Roy Halladay and the Phillies, this team is not playing good baseball. Some are brushing it off as early-March rust. Others are not satisfied with the way things are going.
"The results matter," said closer Matt Capps, who has been scored upon in each of his three outings so far. "We're all competitive. I want to go out and strike the side out every time I go out there. AndRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5