Mar 11, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
[UPDATED AT 10:23 A.M.]
VIERA, Fla. — Veteran reliever Eddie Guardado was one of eight players cut from big-league camp this morning as the Nationals moved to reduce their roster count.
Six players were re-assigned to minor-league camp: right-handers Logan Kensing, Ryan Speier and Joel Peralta, left-hander Victor Garate, catcher Derek Norris and outfielder Jerry Owens.
Guardado, 39, appeared in two games this spring, four runs and seven hits in two innings. He owns a career 4.31 ERA and 187 saves in 17 seasons with the Twins, Mariners, Reds and Rangers.
"We respect everything Eddie's done in the game," manager Jim Riggleman said. "But the more we looked at it, we just felt that we may not carry two left-handers in the bullpen, assuming [Sean] Burnett is one guy who we will carry. We may not carry two, but if we did carry two, there's a couple other guys we want to watch the remainder of spring training in that role. We just felt if Eddie's got aRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview