Mar 11, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
[UPDATED AT 10:23 A.M.]
VIERA, Fla. — Veteran reliever Eddie Guardado was one of eight players cut from big-league camp this morning as the Nationals moved to reduce their roster count.
Six players were re-assigned to minor-league camp: right-handers Logan Kensing, Ryan Speier and Joel Peralta, left-hander Victor Garate, catcher Derek Norris and outfielder Jerry Owens.
Guardado, 39, appeared in two games this spring, four runs and seven hits in two innings. He owns a career 4.31 ERA and 187 saves in 17 seasons with the Twins, Mariners, Reds and Rangers.
"We respect everything Eddie's done in the game," manager Jim Riggleman said. "But the more we looked at it, we just felt that we may not carry two left-handers in the bullpen, assuming [Sean] Burnett is one guy who we will carry. We may not carry two, but if we did carry two, there's a couple other guys we want to watch the remainder of spring training in that role. We just felt if Eddie's got aRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order