Mar 12, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jim Riggleman may bat Elijah Dukes seventh or even eighth at times this year.
VIERA, Fla. — When the Nationals had their full complement of starting position players healthy last season — something that admittedly didn't happen very often — they pretty much knew how they would all line up.
Most nights, Washington's 1 through 6 hitters were set: Nyjer Morgan, Cristian Guzman, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham, Elijah Dukes. And with all six of those players back in 2010, common wisdom would seem to indicate they'll remain lined up just like that.
To which Jim Riggleman says: Not so fast.
As he sits around scribbling down potential lineups on napkins this spring, the Nationals manager has been toying with a somewhat different idea. As things currently stand, he may decide to go with something like this…
Adam Kennedy batting sixth, with Dukes perhaps batting eighth? Yes, it's a possibility.
On the surface, the idea of Kennedy (whose career average over a 162-game season is eight homers, 58 RBI and a .391 slugging percentage) batting sixth instead of Dukes (whose similar career averages are 21 homers, 83 RBI and a .421 slugging percentage)Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos