Mar 12, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jim Riggleman may bat Elijah Dukes seventh or even eighth at times this year.
VIERA, Fla. — When the Nationals had their full complement of starting position players healthy last season — something that admittedly didn't happen very often — they pretty much knew how they would all line up.
Most nights, Washington's 1 through 6 hitters were set: Nyjer Morgan, Cristian Guzman, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham, Elijah Dukes. And with all six of those players back in 2010, common wisdom would seem to indicate they'll remain lined up just like that.
To which Jim Riggleman says: Not so fast.
As he sits around scribbling down potential lineups on napkins this spring, the Nationals manager has been toying with a somewhat different idea. As things currently stand, he may decide to go with something like this…
Adam Kennedy batting sixth, with Dukes perhaps batting eighth? Yes, it's a possibility.
On the surface, the idea of Kennedy (whose career average over a 162-game season is eight homers, 58 RBI and a .391 slugging percentage) batting sixth instead of Dukes (whose similar career averages are 21 homers, 83 RBI and a .421 slugging percentage)Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win