Mar 13, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — We're still an hour away from today's game against the Astros, which features plenty of compelling storylines, not the least of which are Scott Olsen and Matt Chico's latest outings in their attempted return from major arm injuries.
But it's never too early to turn our attention toward tomorrow's game against the Cardinals, because none other than Stephen Strasburg will be starting for the Nationals.
Fresh off his eye-opening debut Tuesday against the Tigers, the rookie right-hander will ramp things up a bit in his second start. He'll throw three innings. Perhaps we'll see his velocity tick up a notch or two (yes, he's capable of throwing harder than we saw last time).
As for the expected results, well, the Nationals still aren't so much concerned with what the final numbers say. At this point, they're more concerned with making sure he's adjusting to the five-day pitching schedule, with just as much emphasis on his off-day work as his actual in-game performance.
As manager Jim Riggleman put it: "Our only expectations [for Strasburg] are: he threw his game. He did what we wanted him to do, what we want all our guys to do. Recovered well. Threw his side session. Took a day off and then pitching the game. You just hope that routine starts to really settle in and that becomes the norm forRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win