Mar 14, 2010, 10:44 PM EST
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Battling a fierce crosswind, Stephen Strasburg tossed three scoreless innings.
VIERA, Fla. — You'd be hard-pressed to find any pitching tandem in baseball more diverse than Stephen Strasburg and Livan Hernandez.
One is the embodiment of a power pitcher who blows hitters away with sheer force. The other slings slop up toward the plate, hoping to catch guys off-balance and force them into bad swings.
One throws his fastball as hard as anyone in the sport and even tops 90 mph with his change-up. The other throws his fastball in the low 80s and occasionally fires up a 61 mph curveball that would make Bugs Bunny proud.
One is a picture perfect, physical specimen: 6 feet, 4 inches and 220 pounds of pitching perfection, with strong legs that drive off the mound and allow that fastball to reach such dizzying heights. The other is, shall we say, a bit on the pudgy side, with a body that the casual observer would never guess belongs to a professional athlete.
Yet Stephen Strasburg and Livan Hernandez possess far more similarities than you'd ever believe. More than anything, each right-hander possesses the quality most important to achieving success inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect