Mar 14, 2010, 10:44 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Battling a fierce crosswind, Stephen Strasburg tossed three scoreless innings.
VIERA, Fla. — You'd be hard-pressed to find any pitching tandem in baseball more diverse than Stephen Strasburg and Livan Hernandez.
One is the embodiment of a power pitcher who blows hitters away with sheer force. The other slings slop up toward the plate, hoping to catch guys off-balance and force them into bad swings.
One throws his fastball as hard as anyone in the sport and even tops 90 mph with his change-up. The other throws his fastball in the low 80s and occasionally fires up a 61 mph curveball that would make Bugs Bunny proud.
One is a picture perfect, physical specimen: 6 feet, 4 inches and 220 pounds of pitching perfection, with strong legs that drive off the mound and allow that fastball to reach such dizzying heights. The other is, shall we say, a bit on the pudgy side, with a body that the casual observer would never guess belongs to a professional athlete.
Yet Stephen Strasburg and Livan Hernandez possess far more similarities than you'd ever believe. More than anything, each right-hander possesses the quality most important to achieving success inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists