Mar 14, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Wherever Ian Desmond plays this season, he'll be at shortstop.
VIERA, Fla. — Ian Desmond may get some time in the outfield this spring, but once the season begins, he'll remain an everyday shortstop … either in Washington or Syracuse.
General manager Mike Rizzo said the 24-year-old needs to play every day this season, no matter if he's in the majors or the minors.
"He's  years old, and he's going to be an everyday shortstop in the big leagues," Rizzo said. "He's going to play every day at shortstop somewhere this season."
Desmond has been torrid at the plate this spring, carrying a .476 average (10-for-21) with five extra-base hits and 11 RBI into today's game against the Cardinals. He's also drawn three walks, leading to a .542 on-base percentage.
With Cristian Guzman guaranteed $8 million in the final year of his current contract, manager Jim Riggleman has sought to get Desmond more playing time by using him in center field and right field this spring. The manager has said he believes Desmond has the athletic skills to play the outfield if needed, leading to speculation he couldRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?