Mar 15, 2010, 6:36 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Garrett Mock allowed two runs in the first, then retired nine straight batters.
VIERA, Fla. — Here's a rarity for spring training: a Monday night game. Actually, this is the Nationals' first night game of the spring, a 7:05 p.m. tilt against the Braves.
Garrett Mock becomes the first member of the rotation to make his third start and he should become the first to go four innings. The right-hander has been stating his case from the first day of camp to make the Opening Day rotation. Tonight would be a good opportunity to really distinguish himself with a solid performance, perhaps even to lock a spot up.
Mock will be battling a similar crosswind that Stephen Strasburg and Livan Hernandez had to deal with last night. Right now (2:30 p.m.) it's blowing from right to left at a vicious 29 mph, with gusts up to 35 mph. Supposed to diminish somewhat this evening, but it's still going to be a factor.
Check back all afternoon and evening for game-related updates. I'll have other news and thoughts in other posts, so make sure to check for those as well…
BRAVES AT NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: MASN/no radio
Weather: Mostly sunny, 64 degrees, Wind 15 mph RF to LF
CF Justin Maxwell
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff