Mar 15, 2010, 7:19 PM EST
[UPDATED AT 6:42 P.M.]
VIERA, Fla. — Ron Villone was among six pitchers cut for Nationals camp this afternoon.
Villone, 40, was given his outright release. Collin Balester and Atahualpa Severino were optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Aaron Thompson and Ryan Mattheus were optioned to Class AA Harrisburg. Juan Jaime was optioned to Class A Potomac.
The moves leave 45 players in big-league camp.
Villone was hoping to earn a spot as a left-handed specialist, a role he held last season while posting a 4.25 ERA in 63 games. But the veteran struggled this spring (allowing three runs, seven hits and six walks in 1 2/3 innings) and like fellow non-roster invitee Eddie Guardado was given his release.
"He's such a class act and just a wonderful guy and was a very effective pitcher for us last year," manager Jim Riggleman said. "It's tough, but I feel and I know Ron feels that he's going to pitch in the big leagues this year. Somebody will need a left-hander, and he's got such a great reputation. Somebody will call him."
With Guardado, Villone and Thompson now gone, the Nationals are almost certain to open the season with only one left-handed reliever: Sean Burnett. Doug Slaten and Jesse English do remain in camp, but each still has options and could open the season in the minors.
"We have a number of other young left-handers we think have upside and have a chance to contribute on a major league level with Slaten and English," general manager Mike Rizzo said. "We think they've pitched very well out of the bullpen. Those guys have options andRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team