Mar 16, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats host the Marlins at Space Coast Stadium today.
VIERA, Fla. — It's a warm, mostly sunny, not-too-windy day here at Space Coast Stadium, a rare convergence of pleasant meteorological events for this spring. One-half of the Nationals' roster made the trip down to Jupiter today to face the Cardinals in a split-squad game. The rest of the club remained up here to face the Marlins.
Because of the need for extra players, the Nats have called up several top minor-leaguers for the day. Destin Hood and Michael Burgess are due to play in Jupiter. Here, we've got Danny Espinosa in the starting lineup and Chris Marrero on the bench, along with several others.
I talked to Espinosa this morning and will have a post on him at some point. After a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League, he's enjoyed a good spring in minor-league camp and is slated to open the season as the starting shortstop at Class AA Harrisburg. If all goes according to plan, we could see him in the big leagues by September, setting up a potentially interesting question next spring, with both Espinosa and Ian Desmond in the mix for the starting job in D.C.
First things first. Craig Stammen starts today for the Nationals, hoping to make a solid impression and perhaps work his way into the Opening Day rotation. At the moment, Stammen seems more like a fall-back option in case Scott Olsen or Livan Hernandez don't make it. He's also in the mix for a long reliever's spot and can help his cause with a solid outing today.
Check back all day for updates, both from here and from Jupiter…
MARLINS (SS) AT NATIONALS (SS)
Space Coast Stadium, Viera, Fla.
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
TV/Radio: None in Viera, Cardinals radio in Jupiter
Weather: Mostly sunny, 66 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to LF
CF Willy Taveras
RF Willie Harris
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence