Mar 16, 2010, 8:36 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Randy St. Claire caught on quickly with the Marlins after getting fired by the Nats.
VIERA, Fla. — Since the day he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Montreal Expos in 1978, Randy St. Claire had never spent a summer at home in Lake George, N.Y. For 30 years, he found himself pitching in some minor-league town or (in good times) in the majors, then later coaching both in the minors and eventually the majors.
So upon getting the news June 2 that he had been fired by the Nationals, St. Claire wasn't exactly sure what to do. He drove back home to Lake George, north of Albany, and contemplated a quiet summer with his wife, Elizabeth.
That didn't last long. So accustomed to a life in motion, whether on a baseball field or a snowy upstate New York snowmobiling track, St. Claire knew he needed to do something to keep himself busy and his mind off the fact he was now unemployed.
"I can't sit around," he said. "That's just my personality flaw. I've got to be doing something. Always."
So St. Claire decided to build a small addition to his house. Which, as is often the case with construction, turned into a far more complicated project than originally anticipated. The next thing heRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order