Mar 16, 2010, 8:36 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Randy St. Claire caught on quickly with the Marlins after getting fired by the Nats.
VIERA, Fla. — Since the day he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Montreal Expos in 1978, Randy St. Claire had never spent a summer at home in Lake George, N.Y. For 30 years, he found himself pitching in some minor-league town or (in good times) in the majors, then later coaching both in the minors and eventually the majors.
So upon getting the news June 2 that he had been fired by the Nationals, St. Claire wasn't exactly sure what to do. He drove back home to Lake George, north of Albany, and contemplated a quiet summer with his wife, Elizabeth.
That didn't last long. So accustomed to a life in motion, whether on a baseball field or a snowy upstate New York snowmobiling track, St. Claire knew he needed to do something to keep himself busy and his mind off the fact he was now unemployed.
"I can't sit around," he said. "That's just my personality flaw. I've got to be doing something. Always."
So St. Claire decided to build a small addition to his house. Which, as is often the case with construction, turned into a far more complicated project than originally anticipated. The next thing heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series