Mar 16, 2010, 8:36 PM EST
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Randy St. Claire caught on quickly with the Marlins after getting fired by the Nats.
VIERA, Fla. — Since the day he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Montreal Expos in 1978, Randy St. Claire had never spent a summer at home in Lake George, N.Y. For 30 years, he found himself pitching in some minor-league town or (in good times) in the majors, then later coaching both in the minors and eventually the majors.
So upon getting the news June 2 that he had been fired by the Nationals, St. Claire wasn't exactly sure what to do. He drove back home to Lake George, north of Albany, and contemplated a quiet summer with his wife, Elizabeth.
That didn't last long. So accustomed to a life in motion, whether on a baseball field or a snowy upstate New York snowmobiling track, St. Claire knew he needed to do something to keep himself busy and his mind off the fact he was now unemployed.
"I can't sit around," he said. "That's just my personality flaw. I've got to be doing something. Always."
So St. Claire decided to build a small addition to his house. Which, as is often the case with construction, turned into a far more complicated project than originally anticipated. The next thing heRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen